Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype idea (Was: Testing tapes before use / bad tape)

2003-11-24 15:13:38
Subject: Re: amtapetype idea (Was: Testing tapes before use / bad tape)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:11:46 -0500
On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:14:56PM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> >Might it be a good idea to have amtapetype note too many files
> >being written during the first phase and taking some action?
> >Maybe with an option to override the checking.
>
> My idea was to write only one large file in the first pass, just
> until it hits end of tape.  Then rewind and write tapesize/100 files
> to measure the size of a filemark.
> That way you don't need to give an estimated tapesize at all.
>
> Never got enough time to implement it though:

Just revert to an earlier version :)

Way back tapetype wrote pass 1 with no files.  Then in pass 2
it wrote lots of small files (one 32K block) comes to mind.
That of course was rediculous when V large tape sizes came along.

I submitted a change that did a similar calculation to that
you suggest, but wrote 1000 files.

After that was in place for a while, someone noted a problem.
What it was I don't recall, but someone, I think JRJ, changed
it to the 100/200 file scheme.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)