Amanda-Users

Running amdump leads to high CPU load on Linux server

2003-11-23 19:50:08
Subject: Running amdump leads to high CPU load on Linux server
From: Kurt Raschke <kurt AT raschke DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:46:32 -0500
I've recently begun to have trouble with the Linux system that is my
amanda server...when amdump runs, the load spikes to between 4.00 and
6.00, and the system becomes nearly unresponsive for the duration of
the backup.  The server is backing up several local partitions, and
also two partitions on remote servers.  I've tried starting amdump
with nice and setting it to a low priority, but when gtar and gzip are
started by amanda, the priority setting is somehow lost.  The server
isn't even trying to back up multiple partitions in parallel, so I'm
at a loss as to how this is happening, especially on a fairly fast
server (dual Athlon MP 2000).

Any suggestions?  If you need to see the amanda logs or anything else
that would help, just ask.

-Kurt Raschke