Amanda-Users

Will Amanda work with Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library

2003-11-07 18:47:58
Subject: Will Amanda work with Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library
From: "Fran Fabrizio" <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:44:28 -0600

Our group is thinking of purchasing a Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library.  From the documentation I’ve read, Amanda supports some, but not all, changers/robots.  Will this be a supported model?

Also, the following excerpt from the Amanda chapter of the Unix Backup And Recovery book has me a bit concerned:

“AMANDA supports using more than one tape in a single run, but does not yet split a dump image across tapes. This also means it does not support dump images larger than a single tape.”

“Does not yet split a dump image across tapes.”  I assume “dump image” = one “unit” or partition to be backed up.  /home for example.  So if /home is larger than the size of a single tape, do I then need to subdivide /home into say /home/faculty and /home/students in order to backup successfully?  I’m just a little fuzzy on what exactly an “image” is. (Sorry, new on the job and to sysadmin in general)

Thanks,

Fran