Amanda-Users

writing file: short write

2003-11-03 14:59:18
Subject: writing file: short write
From: "Jason Lavigne" <jlavigne AT bwlogic DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:57:58 -0500

(I have a few questions and figured I would split them up as opposed to asking all in one email)

I have the tapes set to “reuse” and for some reason I am getting the following error from time to time:

The dumps were flushed to tape Daily-001.

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: short write]].

Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.

Run amflush again to flush them to tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:

  samba.bwlo /backup/bwlogic lev 2 FAILED [out of tape]

….

NOTES:

  taper: tape Daily-001 kb 7719904 fm 21 writing file: short write

Is this telling me that the tape is no longer good and I should replace it? There is no way that it could be full as it is 35GB and I don’t have that much data, maybe 5GBs at most.

TIA

Jay