Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe], Why?

2003-11-03 11:19:43
Subject: Re: sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe], Why?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: John Grover <grover AT lakemichigancollege DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:17:26 +0100
John Grover wrote:

I'm guessing that the timeout is caused by the failure of tar to write
to the broken pipe, but the logs don't give me much to go on. I've
scoured every lat resource I can find and still get these results. I'd
be happy to send logs to anyone who would care to help me out with
this.

  ? sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
  ? index returned 1
  sendbackup: error [/usr/bin/tar got signal 13]

This problem is signalled now and then on this list. People give lots of
tips to help/investigate/fix, but nobody ever came back and told what
he/she did to solve it.  If it ever got solved at all.

It seems it is the index-pipe on the server that is failing with
an (unknown) error.  This triggers a broken index pipe on the client.
We're not sure about that either.  That's why I suggested to
(temporarily) run without index for this DLE, and see if it gets any
better.

If this works fine, they you could try to create the index manually,
and see what's wrong, using commands on the server:
   amrestore -p ... | gtar -tf -  > /tmp/the_index
Then with "gtar" running on the client:
   ssh -l amanda amanda_server amrestore -p ... | gtar -tf - > /tmp/x

If you gzip the resulting index file and put in the correct place, with
the correct name, you have an index for amrecover too.

Also verify the gnutar version (on the client!); best is 1.13.25 (1.13.19 is probably ok too, but if you have it, I advice to upgrade anyway). All other versions are suspicious. Maybe the problem is with gzip (index files are ALWAYS compressed --best). Verify that version too.