Amanda-Users

Image size greater than capacity of single tape?

2003-10-24 21:02:10
Subject: Image size greater than capacity of single tape?
From: Tavis Gustafson <tavis AT hq.dreamhost DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
I am planning on doing full backups of our file servers which have 200 GB
volumes on them.

I read this in "Unix Backup and Recovery" :

AMANDA uses only as much tape as it needs. AMANDA does not yet do overflow
from one tape to another. If it hits end of tape (or any other error)
while writing an image, that tape is unmounted, the next one is loaded,
and the image starts over from the beginning. This sequence continues if
the image cannot fit on a tape.

If this is true, and I am using tapes smaller than 200 GB, will I have to
segment my volumes into multiple backup runs?  What is considered an
"image"?

        Thank You
        Tavis Gustafson
        Dreamhost