Amanda-Users

Re: [UPDATE] How to control which tape is next?

2003-10-22 22:39:57
Subject: Re: [UPDATE] How to control which tape is next?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:34:55 -0400
On Wednesday 22 October 2003 21:19, Matt Hyclak wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:54:52PM -0400, Gene Heskett enlightened
us:

>> >Yes, it goes through after the files are built and sets the
>> > appropriate ownership and permissions correctly. It assumes the
>> > user will be called amanda, which is the "right way" to do it on
>> > a RH system.
>>
>> Great Matt.  And that pretty much takes care of my first
>> objection. Even better if the installer actually setup that user,
>> and made that user a member of the needed group too.
>
>From the .spec:
>
>%pre
>useradd -M -n -g disk -o -r -d /var/lib/amanda -s /bin/bash \
>
>        -c "Amanda user" -u 33 amanda >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>:-)
>:

Well, like Howard Cosell, I never played the game myself :)

>> The second would be taken care of if the building of the src to an
>> rpm it was trained to barf voluminously and exit if the config
>> (the spec file) still says 'localhost' anyplace in it.  A bit
>> arbitrary maybe, but for gnubies, a "barked knuckle" the first
>> time sure beats no recovery when the gnubie needs it 6 months on
>> down the log.
>
>Hmmm, an interesting idea. I'll take that up with Jay tomorrow if I
> get a chance.

The use of localhost is a sleeping dog that offers little or no long
term good.  Its nice to be able to use it to get started, but its
long term useage is like a 3 pack a day habit, hard on ones health
and well being on the long run.  It really should be nipped in the
first days build, hard enough to draw mental blood IMO.  Make them
look up the manpages if they have them, or read the comments in the
.spec file, and fix it right up front the first time.

>> >Which is why I've only posted the src.rpm and encouraged people
>> > to rebuild it using the correct settings for their site. The
>> > problem is in distributing it on a large scale (i.e. part of a
>> > distro), but there really is no good solution to that. If there
>> > is interest in the src.rpm, I'll be sure to post it as it gets
>> > updated (assuming Jay doesn't beat me to it).
>> >
>> >Matt
>>
>> I think Jay needs the help.  Not because he is doing a bad job, he
>> isn't, but when one is that busy, stuff starts falling thru the
>> cracks...   Maybe you could take over the amanda rpm maintainance
>> for those distros that use rpms, says he, donning the kevlar
>> underwear.
>>
>> :-)
>
>I'm more than happy to give him a hand, but I don't think RedHat
> would like it too much if I became the official maintainer :-)
> Besides, he has access to all the test equipment, not me. I'll be
> sure to keep feeding him fixes/updates/patches, etc. If there are
> any requests for features, speak up on the list (that goes for
> everyone). I'm not sure I want to get into rpm-ing snapshots at
> this point, but if there's enough yelling for that, I can look into
> doing that.
>
>(I did talk with Jay briefly today, and he has been busy with other
> things, but has some time now to return to the state of the amanda
> packages).

Sounds good to me!

>Matt

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M