Amanda-Users

Re: rename amanda clients

2003-10-20 09:40:15
Subject: Re: rename amanda clients
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:35:09 -0400
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:50:03PM +0200, Thomas Franz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sometimes, I have to rename a server(amanda client) in this case:
> server.domain1 -> server.domain2
> ( a server is moving into another zone)
>
> Now, I have changed the disklist , the directories in "index-dir" and
> all occurances in "log.*" .
> But, if I want to restore a file with amrecover, it does not work, because
> on the tape  there is still the old name ( of course !).
> Is there any workaround to keep the database before renaming a server ?

Just a thought about workarounds outside of amanda.

On the unix systems with which I'm familiar, a single NIC can service
multiple IP's.  Each system seems to have its one administration technique
to implement this.  But for example, the system I'm writing this on is
using a single NIC to represent itself X.Y.Z.60 and the network DNS server,
X.Y.Z.2.

Perhaps for a period, corresponding to how long the tapes current tapes
are valid, you could maintain two DNS entries and IP's for the client.
Then it could backup/restore under the new name, and restore old stuff
under the old one.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)