Amanda-Users

Re: tape type for HP DDS3 C5708A

2003-10-18 12:55:16
Subject: Re: tape type for HP DDS3 C5708A
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:44:16 -0400
On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 01:22:49PM +0530, Rohit wrote:
> This was the output of the tapetype program after running for
> several hours (maybe close to 8 hours or so). I then included
> this in my tapetype defination in amanda.conf. But when amanda
> ran yesterday night, it complained about "No space left on
> the device" and left one share in the holding space.
>
> How come this error? Did tapetype estimate more then what my
> tape can hold?
>
> Thanks!

Based on the substantial number of other DDS3 tapetypes
that have been posted (including my own) these are fine
and appropriate values.

But please Rohit, don't give us a little tidbit of information
and expect a comprehensive, accurate response.

   "no space left on device"

Gee, when did that happen?  Did that message pop up in isolation?
Or was it part of a more larger report?  Did the report show
that anything worked?  Were any DLE's taped?  How many, how much?
Did you try to write 4000Gb on to that tiny 12Gb tape?

Right now I'd guess that latter happened.  Only a guess.

But 2 days ago I made a wrong guess that you did not have
a configuration problem.  That guess, like this one, was
based on limited information.  When you provided more data
Paul B pointed out it was clear you did have a config problem.

You see a lot more information about your installation that
we do.  Help us see that same things so the list is better
able to help you.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)