Amanda-Users

Re: more doubts

2003-10-17 11:33:41
Subject: Re: more doubts
From: "btrent98" <Btrent AT triticom DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:20:02 -0000
--- In amanda-users AT yahoogroups DOT com, Jon LaBadie <jon@j...> wrote:

> You should not think of a dumpcycle as starting on a particular
> date and going for one dumpcycle and the next not starting until
> dumpcycle number of days.
>
> Instead, each amdump run is the start of a dumpcycle's worth of
> dumps, and can be thought of as the end of a different dumpcycle,
> and can be thought of as an in-between run of other dumpcycles.
> If you are doing 5 runs per cycle, tapes 1-5 contain "a dumpcycle".
> But so do tapes 2-6, and 3-7 etc.

This seems to answer a nagging question that I've had. I want to store
at least one "complete set" of tapes off-site as part of a disaster
recovery plan. With my runspercycle set to 5 (and 1 tape per run),
this seems to imply that any 5 consecutive tapes (without errors, of
course) constitute a "complete" set of backups. Is that correct?