Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup has a hardcoded call to gtar

2003-10-10 16:50:04
Subject: Re: sendbackup has a hardcoded call to gtar
From: Kirk Strauser <kirk AT strauser DOT com>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:45:36 -0500
At 2003-10-10T20:23:32Z, Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
writes:

> You have the source tarball, and the after unpacking it and reading the
> docs/INSTALL, you usually do:
>
>    ./configure --prefix=... --with-gnutar=...   ...

I'm familiar with that.

> If you leave out the --with-gnutar option, configure will look itself for
> the gnutar command.
>
> The reason it is built in, is because the client programs do not need a
> configuration file.

Yes, but it's not definable at all; the actual string "gtar" is coded into
the file.  I could understand if there was something like:

in config.h:

   #define GNUTAR_PROGRAM "gtar"

in sendbackup-gnutar.c

   #include "config.h"
   exec(GNUTAR_PROGRAM, arg1, arg2, ...)

But it's not that way at all.  The only way to configure that program is to
manually edit the file.

> A frequent trick is to compile with --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/amgtar.
> And the "amgtar" command can be as simple as a symlink to the good version
> of gnutar, or a shell script that creates a snapshot before running
> gnutar, or shuts down databases etc.

And that would be a good thing to do, but if the command isn't named "gtar"
and isn't in amanda's $PATH, then I don't see that any number of options
passed to ./configure will make sendbackup execute your program.
--
Kirk Strauser