Amanda-Users

Re: amdump problem

2003-10-08 06:08:27
Subject: Re: amdump problem
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Yogish <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:04:55 +0200
Yogish wrote:

I am having a problem with amdump. It says it expects a new tape . I get the same reply if run amdump or amcheck. I am doing amdump for 5 days with 5 tapes and will change the tape the alst tape for every alternat week. So I have runspercycle as 7. I have attached the amanda.conf and tapelist and disklist. I would appreciate if someone could help me with

The explanation is confusing, and the typo's don't help either :-)

What I understand from above is:

-  dumpcycle 1 week    (assumed, but you dumptype overrides this)
-  runspercycle 7      ("I have runspercycle as 7")
-  tapecycle 5         ("with 5 tapes")
or
-  dumpcycle  1 week    (assumed, but your dumptype overrides this)
-  runspercycle 5       ("amdump for 5 days")
-  tapecycle 7          ("will change the tape the alst tape for
-                         every alternate week" meaning:
-               change only the last tape (of a set of 6):
-               Reuse the other 5 tapes each week, and tape 6 and 7
-               every alternate week?
-               This can be done with "tapecycle 7"; you need two
-               separate configs for this, or lie about tapecycle.

In amanda.conf:

> tapedev "/dev/st0"

That should be the non-rewinding device  "/dev/nst0".

> dumpcycle 1 weeks
> runspercycle 5 weeks
> tapecycle 7 tapes

runspercycle does not have a unit, and specifying "weeks" is like
multiplying by 7.  So you actually have "runspercycle 35".  Probably
not what you want.

> holdingdisk hd1 {
>     comment "main holding disk"
>     directory "/home/amanda"
>     use 1 Gb
>     chunksize 1 Gb
>     }

This could be correct, but I believe that chunksize actually does not
include the 32K amanda header, resulting in 1GB+32K files on disk.
(That's why many amanda users specify 2000M instead of 2GByte on
filesystems where the maximum filesize is 2 Gbyte).
I did not verify this in the current sources.
Thus specifing "use 1Gb" at the same time could be in conflict with
the 1GB+32K chunks.  I would avoid this boundary condition, and
specify a "use -500 MB" or suitable number.
Also your holdingdisk usage of 1 GByte is riduculously small compared
to the tapecapacity of 80 Gbyte.  I guess the holdingdisk is bypassed
completely, given you do always-full backups of only two (large?) DLE's.
Given you only backup 2 DLE's with "compression fast", and you have
a very fast CPU, bypassing the holdingdisk could be on purpose,
I guess.