Amanda-Users

Re: Making an index of a tape after the fact...

2003-08-29 11:57:15
Subject: Re: Making an index of a tape after the fact...
From: David Barcelo <dbarcelo AT datajunction DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:03:50 -0500
I want to make an index of a tape that already has backup info on it. I want to be able to use amrecover if I need to.

Paul Bijnens wrote:

David Barcelo wrote:

Is it possible to make an index of a tape after the backup?

Do you mean "amtoc", to generate a list of the images on tape,
or do you mean reading the tape, and generating such a list from it:

    while mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1
    do dd bs=32k if=/dev/nst0 | head -1
    done

Or do you mean to generate the index-files into the image needed
for amrecover?  It is possible, but I've never done it.
A script that reads each image and generates a toc (e.g. for tar
with the -t option), and does a little postprocessing with sed to
strip the initial dot and save it in a gzip-ed file named
  ~amanda/CONFIG/index/HOSTNAME/_disk_name/YYYYMMDD_L.gz
would probably work.

--
 ______

James David Barcelo
Network/Systems Administration

Data Junction Corporation
2201 Northland Drive
Austin, Tx 78756
tel: 512-459-1308 ext. 349
cel: 512-619-3998
fax: 512-459-1309
www.datajunction.com
* The contents and attachments in this email are confidential.

 ______