Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring a blown-up server; determining which tapes have the backup

2003-08-29 10:41:01
Subject: Re: Restoring a blown-up server; determining which tapes have the backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:34:20 +0200
Kurt Yoder wrote:

I don't think this would work. AFAIK, you can't back up the index
and log files for the current backup onto the current backup. Plus,
there's no way to guarantee that this partition is the last one
backed up onto tape. Plus, even if you could guarantee that, there
would be no way of knowing how many backup images are on the tape,
so you couldn't do "mt fsf <somenumber>" to get to where you want to
be on tape.

Oh yes there is.  A quick and dirty way:

  amdump YourConf  &&  tar -zcf /dev/nst0 /var/lib/amanda

Amanda does not rewind the tape when finished.
The amanda way would also take into account the estimated size of
this image, give the image a decent amanda header and do some more
errorchecking when hitting EOT etc.
In degraded mode amanda would probably not need to generate such file,
but when flushing, it should generate a fresh image directly to tape.

In the above aproach there is a (tiny) window between, when amanda
finishes and tar starts, that the tape device could get a reset (and
thus rewind) without you knowing this, thereby overwriting your valuable backup tape. Amanda keeps the tape device open all the time, and gets informed about these events too, so there is indeed value in incorporating this into amanda.