Amanda-Users

Re: Making a copy/image of the backed up data

2003-08-27 04:24:33
Subject: Re: Making a copy/image of the backed up data
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Simon Frettloeh <sifr AT aifb.uni-karlsruhe DOT de>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:17:53 +0200
Simon Frettloeh wrote:

If I can read this properly, you suggest to make the copy of the image to the second tape drive. But we need both tape drives for backup reasons. The image should only be dumped to a file. But I think, there would be the possibility to mount a image file as device and tell dd to copy the data to that one :-) Problem could be the variable size of this image device. But thnx a lot for your idea!

If you want the images from tape simply dumped to a file,
than why don't you use "amrestore"? amrestore has options to
specify what kind of image you want (compressed/uncompressed,
with/without amanda header). See man page.
Encrypting it and putting it on another tape, can then be done
using gpg and dd.