Amanda-Users

Re: Bad estimates with Samba

2003-08-23 22:39:12
Subject: Re: Bad estimates with Samba
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:35:49 -0400
On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 05:32:42PM -0700, Rich Wilson wrote:
> I'm having trouble backing up windows shares.
> The estimates returned are wildly wrong, and since the estimates
> are larger than the tape size, they are rejected.
> My system is SuSE 8.1 pro
>
> Here is a log snippet:
>
> The log goes on, with the planner throwing out dilbert and wally
> because they are larger than the tape.
>
> Wally and dilbert are the two windows 98SE boxes.   I'm trying to backup
> the "My Documents"
> directory, which I have shared as "MyDocuments".  Note that the
> estimated size for level two
> backups is on the order of 7 and 9 GB, even though the total disk size
> is much less than that!
>
> What's going on?
>
> How do I fix it?

I'd look at samba (smbclient).
Check your logs for the actual smbclient command that
is issued.  Confirm you can reproduce the incorrect
results when running the command by hand.

If yes, which I suspect, then I think it is a samba problem.

Is your samba as old as your amanda?
Maybe there have been updates that address the problem.
Perhaps a note to a samba mailing list to see if the
problem is known and fixable is in order.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)