Amanda-Users

barcode readers and am-labels

2003-08-20 14:48:55
Subject: barcode readers and am-labels
From: Deb Baddorf <baddorf AT fnal DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:45:02 -0500
Hi all --
    I have a barcode reader with my tape robot.   I've tested the robot
and got it playing nicely with amanda;  nut I haven't yet told her that
it can do barcodes.
     In what fashion does amanda make use of the bar codes,   assuming
I tell her that I have a reader (havereader = 1)?

Does amanda use them while finding tapes,  or just report them to me
for my visual usage?
Does the barcode label need to match the amlabel string?
(it is kind of long for barcoding....)
Or is the barcode  just *associated* with the amlabel
(in the mentioned barcode database)?

i.e.  is  UX0001  associated with  MyTapeStringDaily-034
by the barcode database
     or does it have to actually *say*   MyTapeStringDaily-034
on the barcode?

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab, Beams Division
Deb Baddorf         baddorf AT fnal DOT gov              840-2289
"Nobody told me that living happily ever after would be such hard work ..."
S. White                                            <IXOYE><