Amanda-Users

syncing amanda's non-standard schedule

2003-08-15 14:51:51
Subject: syncing amanda's non-standard schedule
From: "Alexander Shenkin" <alshenkin AT hotmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:47:44 +0000
hi folks,

I have amanda backing up a server in an environment where it's schedule must conform with the schedule of other windows backups occurring. It's just backing up the server (itself), and that's all.

I have it on a 20 tape cycle, 4 weeks, one backup every weekday, full dumps on mondays and fridays. One backup fits on one tape. I have the tapes labeled <day of week>-<week number>. So, the tape intended to get wednesday of week 2's backup is labelled "wednesday-2". If I forget to replace the tape one day, tuesday-2 for example, I just edit the tapelist and put "tuesday-2" at the top, so amanda expects "wednesday-2" as the next tape on wednesday. no problem.

This was all working great for a few weeks -- four actually. but now i'm running into problems. Amanda won't overwrite used tapes until <tapecycle> (= 20 in my case) tapes have been written to. And, since I've skipped a couple tapes, amanda doesn't want to write to "monday-1", or any other used tape for that matter.

Is there a way I can get around this? I know I'm not using amanda in the exact way it was intended, but i thought there would be sufficient workarounds to make this work. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this!

Best,
Allie