Amanda-Users

FQDNs in .amandahosts

2003-08-12 16:55:45
Subject: FQDNs in .amandahosts
From: "S. Keel" <sakeel AT u.washington DOT edu>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:39:49 -0700 (PDT)
Hello everyone, I have a problem with using FQDNs in my .amandahosts file
on both the backup server and the client machines.  I am planning a backup
of several machines inside a private network, without any DNS.  So I'm
concerned that the backup will fail because none of the machines would
actually resolve.

My network is a small lab network 192.168.1.0/24 setup inside a firewall.
There isn't any DNS inside the network, and with the exception of 3 Linux
machines (one of which is the backup server with tape drive attached), all
the other 13 clients are Win2k/XP machines in a workgroup who get their
IPs from DHCPd running on the firewall.

Is it possible to use IP addresses in .amandahosts inside such a network,
or, since all of the machines that I want to backup are behind the
firewall, can I do ./configure --without-amandahosts?  If the latter, then
how does amanda know to allow connections to/from the backup server?

Thanks,
Stefan