Amanda-Users

Re: NFS mounts

2003-08-12 16:33:59
Subject: Re: NFS mounts
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "LaValley, Brian E" <BLaValley AT ALLEGROMICRO DOT com>, "Amanda-Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:30:41 -0500
--On Tuesday, August 12, 2003 16:08:47 -0400 "LaValley, Brian E" <BLaValley AT
ALLEGROMICRO DOT com> wrote:

> Can I list an nfs mounted disk in the disklist file?

Yes.  I know it will work if you use tar. Many (all?)
dumps will have problems. Even if they can dump a directory
(as opposed to a filesystem), they won't update /etc/dumpdates
when used on a directory so you couldn't do incrementals.
  You will need to export the directory with root permissions
to your backup server so runtar can access it.
  Since amcheck runs as the backup user, it will give you bogus
warnings if the directory is not readable by the backup user
(for example, if the permissions are 700) but amdump will still
be able to back it up.

Frank