Amanda-Users

Re: [amanda-users] Digest Number 1629

2003-08-12 16:05:00
Subject: Re: [amanda-users] Digest Number 1629
From: Craig White <craigwhite AT azapple DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 12 Aug 2003 13:00:14 -0700

<BLaValley AT ALLEGROMICRO DOT com> wrote:

> > I have not been able to backup anything on my local system.  AMANDA
reports
> > that it thinks the disk is offline.  Where should I start looking to
find
> > out what is wrong?
>
> Make sure you're not trying to back up the raw device with tar.
> su - to your backup user and see if you can acces the device.
> Some (RedHat?) machines had problems mapping paths to device names
> if the fstab used labels for partitions.
>
> If none of those help, try posting your OS, Amanda version, disklist
> and dumptype entry for the problem disk.

----
I've been meaning to coalesce some of my learnings for redhat users...

1 - /home/amanda/.amandahosts    (should have at the least)
<backup server> localhost
<backup server FQDN>    localhost.localdomain
(then make sure)
chown amanda.disk /home/amanda/.amandahosts

2 - add amanda to the 'disk' group in /etc/group
    (this should allow you to use the tape drive as user amanda)

3 - edit
/etc/xinetd.d/amanda
/etc/xinetd.d/amandaidx
/etc/xinetd.d/amidxtape

change disable = yes to no

4 - service xinetd restart

This should get you quite a ways past the redhat gotchas in amanda. The
rest is amanda configuration - good luck

Craig