Amanda-Users

amrecover

2003-08-11 10:34:54
Subject: amrecover
From: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
To: "Amanda List (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:22:06 -0700
Okay, I've got a problem here.  I running amanda-2.4.4p1 on a linux Redhat
9.0, with a tape changer connected directly to the machine.  I'm trying to
restore a few directories, and am having problems getting the amrecover to
work.

After I set host, disk, date, and extraction list, I start the extract, but
it fails.  When looking at the logs, it tells me the following:

amrestore: could not stat 0: No such file or directory
amidxtaped: time 0.041: amrestore terminated normally with status: 2
amidxtaped: could not stat 0: No such file or directory
amidxtaped: time 0.042: could not stat 0: No such file or directory
amidxtaped: time 0.042: pid 1305 finish time Mon Aug 11 09:54:03 2003

I'm assuming that this refers to config "0" in chg-scsi.conf.  So I set the
settape to /dev/st0, and rerun extract.  Now I get this error:

changer: got exit: 2 str: <error> could not read result from
"/usr/local/amanda/libexec/chg-scsi"
amidxtaped: could not get changer info: could not read result from
"/usr/local/amanda/libexec/chg-scsi"
amidxtaped: time 0.067: could not get changer info: could not read
                result from "/usr/local/amanda/libexec/chg-scsi"
amidxtaped: time 0.067: pid 1268 finish time Mon Aug 11 09:47:55 2003

So I figure this is a result of amrecover trying to read the amanda.conf
file & trying to talk with the tape changer using the /dev/st0 I specified
when I did a settape.  So I change settape to /dev/sg0 (the tpae changer).
Now I get this error:

amrestore: Could not rewind device '/dev/sg0': tape_rewind:
             rewinding tape: /dev/sg0: Operation not permitted
amidxtaped: time 30.127: amrestore terminated normally with status: 2
amidxtaped: time 30.128: rewinding tape ...
amidxtaped: time 60.226: tape_rewind: rewinding tape: /dev/sg0: Operation
not permitted
amidxtaped: time 60.226: pid 1272 finish time Mon Aug 11 09:50:42 2003

What do I have to do to get data from a restore tape???  I have reports
showing the data was backed up, so I know the data is there.

-Rob