Amanda-Users

Re: Failure because of missing tapes.

2003-08-10 17:16:09
Subject: Re: Failure because of missing tapes.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:10:24 -0400
On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 11:59:52AM -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> Whenever Amanda has to roll over to a new tape and the first tape in
> the expected list is missing, the backups fail.  For example, last
> night, the expected tapes were:
>
> C83166
> C83259
> C83170
>
> The tape C83166 was not in the changer so my wrapper script loaded
> C83259, fired off amdump, and the backup started up fine.  However,
> when the tape ran out, Amanda tried to load C83166 but couldn't find
> it and failed.  C83170 was available but Amanda apparently did not
> try to load it.

When amanda reported the "next 3 tapes amanda expects are:"
was C83170 within that group?

Also, was C83170 used more than 14 tapes ago?

I think unless at least the 2nd condition is met,
that amanda will not use a tape.

> Is there a configuration option I can use to tell Amanda to try the
> next tape if the desired tape is not avaialble?
>
> ---- from amanda.conf ----
> dumpcycle 7 days
> runspercycle 6
> tapecycle 14 tapes
> runtapes 3
>
> I actually have 19 tapes allocated for this backup.

I'd say have several more available, but not labeled.
When you are about to encounter that situation,
label a new tape.  Amanda will always take a new tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)