Amanda-Users

Re: Not again !!!

2003-08-06 15:57:07
Subject: Re: Not again !!!
From: Steve Lane <drsteve AT mckinley.berkeley DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:55:04 -0700
<way_off_topic>

  On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 02:23:30PM -0500, Rebecca Pakish Crum wrote:
  ---cut---
  > It amazes me how often these two running arguments are repeatedly
  > debated...using localhost and spam to the amanda list. For the love of
  > pete...how many sys admins does it take to beat the dead horse? (I
  > suppose I am now guilty as well by even responding to the tirades)

  <joke>
    Q:  How many IBM CPUs does it take to do a logical right shift?
    A:  33:  1 to hold the bits and 32 to push the register.
  </joke>

  <another_joke>
    Q:  How many IBM CPUs does it take to execute a job?
    A:  Four:  three to hold it down, and one to pour Drano down its throat
        and then rip its head off.
    (Thanks to Harlan Ellison for the lovely Drano imagery! :)
  </another_joke>

  > Maybe there needs to be something addressed to the newbie's when they
  > register with amanda.org as a part of the welcome email that says "You
  > are responsible for your own network...the list is open to everyone and
  > everything, please don't complain about spam, viruses, etc." I find
  > those who are bothered to be unprepared. Get a spam server...deal with
  > it, move on. Or maybe those complaining would like to contribute and
  > maintain a spam/virus server for the list. This is the 4th or 5th time
  > this year this subject has gone on for far too long. Amanda is free, the
  > knowledge everyone gains and contributes her is free, if the price is to
  > be 'bothered' with extra emails, then pay for some other backup utility
  > and you won't be bothered again.

  Amen.

  On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 02:39:17PM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
  ---cut---
  > Yes, agreed; but, are the plethora of insipid and specious virus-found
  > alarms really necessary (read: on-topic) on this -- or any -- mailing list?

  No.

</way_off_topic>

--Steve Lane               /"\
  Doudna Lab               \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  U. C. Berkeley            X     Against HTML Email
                           / \