Amanda-Users

Re: cygwin + amanda install

2003-07-30 07:24:11
Subject: Re: cygwin + amanda install
From: Matthew Moffitt <moffitt.10 AT sociology.osu DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:21:49 -0400
At 06:28 AM 7/30/2003, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:40:50AM +0200, Stefano Coletta wrote:
>> I've successfully installed cygwin with Amanda for backing up Windows
>> machines... but I've a big problem.
>>
>> After the first installation that actually works perfectly, other
>> subsequent installations on other PCs are not generating indexes. I had
>> no time in the past days to investigate the problem thus I've made by
>> best to replicate subsequent installations like the first one.
>>
>> If you dig in the mailing list archives you can find details of this
>> problem (reported by me) that has not been answered by anyone.
>>
>> Essentially on the server side it writes an index file of zero bytes: in
>> the logs present in the client and server there is no evidence of a
>> "problem" while generating indexes or other types of problems.
>>
>> Jon LaBadie wrote:

>> >I'm not now, but I certainly was for about a year.  I had to reinstall
>> >W2K from scratch and I haven't put cygwin back yet.
>
>One problem I never resolved was doing client side compression.
>My fuzzy memory says it involved indexing, particularly a broken
>pipe in the part of the connection involving indexing.  Maybe
>your situation is similar but you are not noticing the broken
>pipe message or it is manifesting itself some other way.  I gave
>up and solved it by doing server side compression.

Jon, Stefano,

Thanks.  I looked through your messages in setting this up.  If I had to give
up the indexes I could probably live with it and just restore entire file
systems to pull out the ones I need for now.

 From your suggestions I set this up to use server side compression but it
doesn't appear to be working and it looks to me as if the process just stops at
some point.  I think this is the server giving up as if it were a data timeout
but it's not far enough out to be hitting the dtimeout parameter.

I'm not sure where to go next.  If I find something that solves the problem
I'll pass it along.

-Matt