Amanda-Users

Re: Backup to disk on another machine

2003-07-29 15:45:03
Subject: Re: Backup to disk on another machine
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: Chris Barnes <chris-barnes AT tamu DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:29:15 -0700
[E-mailed and Cc'ed]

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:38:06PM -0500, Chris Barnes wrote:
> My question is: how do I do this if the disk is on another computer?
>
> Does "earth" nfs mount the large disk on "moon" and simply write to it?

Yes.  Obviously, if you are already saturating earth's network with
backup traffic, the additional taper traffic won't be welcome.

> I assume that this will run on earth as root so that it can have
> permissions to get to all the files, right?

No.  It should be the same user that runs amdump/amandad/etc. and
owns your holdingdisk subdirectories.  By default, "amanda".  No root
export necessary.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461