Amanda-Users

Re: newbie problems

2003-07-23 17:57:24
Subject: Re: newbie problems
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Yogish <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:53:52 +0200
Yogish wrote:
I am a newbie with amanda, I have configured amanda according to a book, However when I try to amdump it gives me following error.I have

Did you see the excellent explanation in docs/INSTALL too?

also attached the amanada.conf and disklist files.Can anyone please help me
This was the error I ran into when I checked the log files
START planner date 20030722
INFO planner Adding new disk localhost:/home/.
START driver date 20030722
WARNING driver WARNING: ignoring holding disk /home/tmp: Permission denied

Error nr one.  the amanda holding disk must be writeable by the
amanda user.  It is best that you make this a dedicated directory,
and not /tmp or /var/tmp.  See below.

FINISH planner date 20030722
STATS driver startup time 14.803
ERROR taper no-tape [not an amanda tape]

Before using a tape with amanda, you must write a special header
to the tape, so that amanda can tell which tape is for her.
You do this with the command "amlabel".  See the man page.
Or did you label the tape and the label got erased by using
the rewind-tape device instead of the non-rewinding tapedevice?

Something like this should work (having a correct tapedev):

  amlabel YourConfig normal01

FAIL driver localhost /home/ 0 [can't switch to incremental dump]

You may ignore this error.  Amanda here states that she cannot
do an incremental dump, because she never did a full dump
of that filesystem yet.  She wanted do try an incremental dump
to holdingdisk because a full dump to tape did not work out.
That problem will go away when you have labeled a tape, or when
you don't reserve all of the holdingdisk for incremental backups
(the default "reserve 100" parameter in you amanda.conf file).

DISKLIST:

Fine. Not an error, but it is unwise to name your computer "localhost".
Use the real domainname.  A configuration usually starts out with
one hosts, then grows to many.  At restore time, which computer
is "localhost" when you have more than one?
Personally, I would use mountpoint instead of disknames.

AMANDA.CONF:

> tapedev "/dev/st0"

Wrong! You should use the NON-rewinding device. (Maybe this is why
the label of the tape got erased?).  Make that:

tapedev "/dev/nst0"

> dumpcycle 7 weeks
> runspercycle 5 weeks
> tapecycle 25 tapes

I see you are using a redhat rpm.  It is not an error, but it confuses
people a lot. Runspercycle is normally without a unit (moreover, the unit "weeks" means "times 7": so you specified runspercycle 35). Then, are you really really sure you want only 1 full backup every 7 weeks? Then you need more than 25 tapes too.
Using the "always-full" dumptype makes this little bit confusing,
because that dumptype overrides the dumpcycle.  Good enough
if you tape is large and you have enough time each night.

You probably mean:

dumpcycycle 1 week
runspercycle 5
tapecycle 25 tapes

meaning:  I want one full dump every week, and I insert a tape
5 times during that week (probably not in the weekend).
In your 25 tapecycle you have now 5 times a full backup of every filesystem. (And dumptype "always-full" makes that a full backup
on each tape.)
Comfortable enough.

holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/home/tmp"       # where the holding disk is
    use 290 Mb          # how much space can we use on it
...   # chunksize 2 Gb
> }

I would create a dedicated directory as holdingdisk. Name the directory
after your config.

     directory "/home/amandahold/normal"

And don't forget "chown amanda /home/amandahold/normal"!

I would specify a chunksize, even if the filesystem on the
holdingdisk can hold large files:

     chunksize 1 Gb

If you add more holdingdisks, amanda can spread a single dump over
several holdingdisks this way too.

Paul