Amanda-Users

RE: help with disklist/tapelist and amlabel

2003-07-16 12:06:38
Subject: RE: help with disklist/tapelist and amlabel
From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>
To: "Joseph Andorful" <johnnyblaze31 AT yahoo DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:02:05 -0500
Joseph Andorful said:

> --- Josh Welch <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com> wrote:
> > Joseph Andorful said:
> > >
> > > I'm configuring AMANDA to backup to a hard disk
> > rather
> > > than a tape drive.  I followed the instructions
> > from
> > > "Amanda Faq-O-Matic: How to configure for tapeless
> > > operation."  However, there seems to be a problem
> > with
> > > the way I configured the disklist file.  When I
> > try to
> > > run amlabel, it says:  amlabel: could not load
> > > tapelist "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapelist"
> > >
> > > Please Help.
> > >
> > > Joseph Andorful
> > >
> > If I recall correctly, I was able to get past this
> > with
> >
> > #touch /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapelist
> >
> > Josh
>

> I performed that command as you said, but it still
> didn't work.  What is the configuration for the
> disklist/tapelist file supposed to look like?
>
> Joseph

Well, I am doing something similar to you, only with five
"tapes" and my tapelist currently looks like this:
20030716 Tape01 reuse
20030715 Tape05 reuse
20030714 Tape04 reuse
20030714 Tape03 reuse
20030714 Tape02 reuse

You shouldn't have to touch this beyond the initial creation
of the file. I thought I remembered reading someone saying
that they had problems if this was not a 0 byte count file,
for instance if you did a vi on the file and wrote it out
rather than just doing a touch. That could be wrong however.

The tapelist file should be written by amlabel, which
you should be running as the amanda user, and then updated
by amanda as it runs, if I am not mistaken. Make sure that
your amanda user has the rights to this directory and file.

Josh