Amanda-Users

Re: Weekly amflush

2003-07-09 23:15:10
Subject: Re: Weekly amflush
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Steven J. Backus" <backus AT math.utah DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:28:26 +0200
Steven J. Backus wrote:
  I'd like to do my daily dumps to the holding disk, then amflush
it to the tapes over the weekend.  The suggestion I've heard here
is to leave out the tapes, then put them in on Friday night, but
what if I want to take Friday off?  Is there a way to do this
automatically?

Put a fake tapedev in amanda.conf (but *not* /dev/null), e.g.

  tapedev "/dev/fridaytape"

(do *not* use /dev/null!)
Then make a symlink to the correct device just before you flush:

        ln -s /dev/rmt/0n  /dev/fridaytape
        amflush -b -f TheConfig
        rm /dev/fridaytape

Or just give appropriate instructions to some collegue.

Actually you're using amanda just the opposite way as intended: in
the normal way she makes backups to tapes, and when you have a day
off, or you're sick, she falls back to the holdingdisk.