Amanda-Users

Re: to compress or not to compress ???

2003-07-03 15:14:52
Subject: Re: to compress or not to compress ???
From: "Michael D. Schleif" <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:10:23 -0500
Also sprach Gene Heskett (Thu 03 Jul 02003 at 02:51:39PM -0400):
> On Thursday 03 July 2003 11:42, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> >Yes, I am learning -- at the expense of many questions ;>
> >
> >First, a brief overview:
> >
> >I have five (5) Linux servers, totaling ~50 Gb used diskspace,
> > divided roughly even across all five.
> >
> >I have several DAT tape drives, the largest of which is an HP DDS-3.
> >  I have twelve (12) DDS-3 tapes, and twenty (20) DDS-2 tapes, as
> > well as several cleaning tapes.
> >
> >So far, I have configured:
> >
> >    dumpcycle     7
> >    runspercycle  7
> >    runtapes      1
> >
> You left out tapecycle, which is the number of tapes in the rotation
> pool, in this case it should be not less than 15.

Wouldn't that be eight (8)?

        runspercycle * runtapes + 1

<snip />
> One thing to be aware of is that a tape, once written in the
> compressed mode, remembers that, and will overwrite your choices
> unless you go to a rather detailed method of removing the compressed
> flags.

How do I do this?

These tape drives have all used compression, and many of these tapes
have been used once or twice.  So, it looks like I will *not* use
hardware compression, and I want to reap all of the benefits of that
strategy.

Also, what is the best way to turn off compression?

    # sudo mt-gnu -f /dev/nst0 datcompression
    Compression on.
    Compression capable.
    Decompression capable.

    # sudo mt-gnu -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 0
    Compression off.
    Compression capable.
    Decompression capable.

    # sudo mt-gnu -f /dev/nst0 datcompression
    Compression off.
    Compression capable.
    Decompression capable.

Will this persist across power cycles?  Will previously hardware
compressed tapes turn hardware compression back on?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds