Amanda-Users

Re: Staring From Scratch --Installing AManda

2003-07-03 15:03:14
Subject: Re: Staring From Scratch --Installing AManda
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:59:35 -0400
On Thursday 03 July 2003 13:21, Eric Siegerman wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 12:40:35PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>> > Also, in creating the Amanda user should I let the system do
>> > this by simply specifying --with-user=Amanda or should I create
>> > an Amanda user then specify --with-user=Amanda?
>
>--with-user=foo will *not* create the "foo" user for you; you
>have to do that yourself.  It doesn't matter whether you do it
>before or after building Amanda, but I suspect that "foo" has to
>exist by the time you install it.  Which suggests that creating
>the userid before you start to build Amanda is less error-prone;
>one doesn't have to remember an extra step between "make" and
>"make install".
>
>> Most people build the software as the amanda_user.
>
>Why?  I just built it under my own account, and everything went
>ok.  (I did the "make install" as root of course.)

Which if you follow that to its logical conclusion means that because
you must then be a member of the group disk or backup, your default
account will have virtually root perms.

Most of us would rather not have your own user accounts so exposed,
and one of the reasons I'm rather adament about adding 'amanda' as
her own account, just so the perms don't get mixed.  Amanda gets made
a member of the group disk (or backup) in order to achieve the perms
amanda nbeeds to run.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: