Amanda-Users

Re: Fatal reading result from taper

2003-07-02 17:36:07
Subject: Re: Fatal reading result from taper
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Josh Welch <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:33:55 +0200
Josh Welch wrote:

> Amcheck gives no erors. However, when I try to do amdump, its
> breaking. I've included the email from amanda below. There doesn't
> look to be anything particularly interesting in the logs, but I've
> pasted the amandad.debug from the client below. I've also pasted my
> disklist. I've tried searching through the groups without any success
>  and the faq is down right now it appears, so I appreciate any help
> you can give me.
>
> ###### Email from amanda
>
> *** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!
>
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: Tape01.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> driver: FATAL reading result from taper: Connection reset by peer
> mplslx1.bu /var RESULTS MISSING

It seems that you are dumper without holdingdisk, and the dump
is passing straight to tape.  It's not taper that's crashing,
but the connection carrying the data was closed by the other end,
probably due to a problem on the client.

> ######amandad.debug
> (null): running service "/usr/lib/amanda/sendsize"

This the amandad.debug from the estimate phase, and that succeeded fine.
Nothing else found in /tmp/amanda?  No sendbackup.debug file?