Amanda-Users

Re: this is what I'd like to do

2003-06-30 21:49:42
Subject: Re: this is what I'd like to do
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy AT methanesea DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:46:28 -0400
On Monday 30 June 2003 09:59, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
>I've been using Arkeia for a while but recently my license has
> expired and I'd like to try using Amanda.
>
>I'd like to backup all of localhost to a second hard drive in the
> server. Can Amanda do this?  I was looking for some quick start
> like documentation to get me going but didn't see anything really
> in terms of just getting a simple backup going with a local disk.
> Any pointers to docs would be appreciated.

You can do this, yes, using the FILE: device type ISTR.

There is a learning curve to amanda, and the first thing to learn is
that as far as amanda is concerned, because localhost means the
machine it running on, its a bit too universal and it will at some
point, bite you hard.   Also, even when backing up its own machine,
amanda uses a client-server framework, so it must be able to access
the server by its FQDN.

So the first thing you lose is the localhost, use the machines FQDN
instead.

There is a FAQ, and there was a pretty good set of docs on
frankenlinux.com, but somebody said they were down a few days back,
so hopefully someone will have made a mirror and can post the URL.

>Thanks
>-jeremy

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M