Amanda-Users

Re: Cost saving idea?

2003-06-27 03:25:28
Subject: Re: Cost saving idea?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Tobias Weingartner <weingart AT cs.ualberta DOT ca>, AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:19:25 +0200
Tobias Weingartner wrote:
On Wednesday, June 25, Chris Miller wrote:
        we use a holding disk the same size of the native tape capacity
and force amanda (by not giving it a new tape) to fill this disk with
compressed (by the backup server via gzip) dumps and flush them to tape
when full with compression turned off on the tape drive.
Does this not cause all your backups to be in degraded mode?

Only if you reserved 100% of the holdingdisk for degraded backups.
Configure the "reserve" parameter to something else, and part or all
of the holdingdisk can be used for the normal incremental and full
backups, waiting to be flushed.