Amanda-Users

Re: support for tape robot IBM 3583

2003-06-24 11:06:48
Subject: Re: support for tape robot IBM 3583
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Heinz-Josef Claes <heinz-josef.claes AT bundestag DOT de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:03:36 -0400 (EDT)
On 24 Jun 2003 at 4:55pm, Heinz-Josef Claes wrote

> we think about using amanda as a backup tool for Deutsche Bundestag
> (german parliament).
> We have some tape robots from IBM 3583 with 36 tapes and 2-6 LTO drives
> in it. Does anybody has expirence with this configuration or
> configuration files for this type of robot?
>
> The whole data volume will be 5-10 TB.
>
> Unfortunately I'm totally new to amanda. It would be a big help if
> somebody could tell me, if it's possible to use amanda.

If your OS can control the robot and write to the tapes, it's more than
likely amanda can work with it.  Amanda is really just a backup scheduler
-- it uses standard *nix tools (mtx, mt, dump/tar) to actually do the
backups.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering