Amanda-Users

Re: Backup of ACLs

2003-06-22 07:01:36
Subject: Re: Backup of ACLs
From: Joerg Schilling <schilling AT fokus.fraunhofer DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, jlb17 AT duke DOT edu
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:59:12 +0200 (CEST)
You wrote:

>tar won't get ACLs.  An FS specific dump program probably will.

>> If i must use star instead of tar, where i must configure this?
>> (which entry in which file?)

>I don't know if star is drop-in replaceable for tar.  ISTR that it only
>does one level of incrementals, which amanda won't like if it needs to
>bump some backups.

Star is a drop in replacement for tar but GNU tar unfortunately is not,
so star will not be able to replace GNU tar......

Many things that Amanda does are better handled by star directly.

-       Buffereing to the tape (star includes a FIFO)

-       error control.
        Star allows you to specify pairs of error conditions and file name
        patterns that cause a specific error condition to be suppressed.

.... There are others, see ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/star for more information.

Star recently started to support 'true incremental backups' similar to what
ufsdump does. There is not yet support for incremental restores if a file
is removed (and the restored tree should not include this file), if a file
changed its type and if a file has been renamed.

Jörg

 EMail:joerg AT schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin DOT de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353
Berlin
       js AT cs.tu-berlin DOT de                (uni)  If you don't have
iso-8859-1
       schilling AT fokus.fraunhofer DOT de     (work) chars I am J"org
Schilling
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily