Amanda-Users

Re: data timeout head-scratcher

2003-06-13 09:27:50
Subject: Re: data timeout head-scratcher
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 09:25:32 -0400
On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 09:20, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> Is the host fully updated (especially glibc and the kernel)?  Dump on 2.4
> series kernels has always been a contentious issue.  After moving to 2.4
> and seeing lots of timeouts, I converted all my dumptypes to using tar.
> No problems.
>
> If you want to keep using dump, update everything with the latest errata,
> and grab the latest version of dump from <http://dump.sourceforge.net/>.

Joshua,
No, in fact the host is running the 2.4.7-10smp kernel that was
originally installed.  I'm anticipating replacing this machine with new
hardware sometime this year, so I think I'll just switch to tar until I
can rip it out.

Strangely, most of my clients are 2.4.x Linux machines, and this is the
only one I've had a problem with using dump.  MMMV (My Mileage Must
Vary).  ;)

Thanks!
Eric