Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda -- seems to be running forever

2003-06-12 16:58:09
Subject: Re: Amanda -- seems to be running forever
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Michael Packer" <pac AT stingrayboats DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:54:03 -0400
On Thursday 12 June 2003 15:19, Michael Packer wrote:
>I've got amanda running on one machine and it seems to be running
> fine.
>
>I've got another server (Dell 2500) Dual 1.1g 512k cache.
>
>Raid card (Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x)
>
>DLT Drive BNCHMARK Model DLT1
>
>I've got about 28Gig used.  It was taking about 4.5 hours before it
> started to write to tape and about 3.5 hours to write to tape.  I'm
> trying to dump ArcServeIT by CA.  ArcserveIT can write all of the
> data in less than 2 hours, but I'd rather use amanda (like I am on
> the other servers) ... if i can get it to a "better" time usage and
> without overloading the machine.  It is currently running the load
> up to around 4.   I'd appreciate any ideas on settings I may have
> incorrect.
>
>Here are some of my conf settings:
>
>inparallel 2
>dumporder  "sssS"
>netusage 1500Kbps

>dumpcycle 1 day
>runspercycle 5
>tapecycle 1 tapes

And you are running amanda 5 times a day, all on the same tape?  I
don't know as Walmart sells that big a bottle of asperin.  I mean
thats what it says there.  A more realistic triplet of settings would
be

dumpcycle 1 week
runspercycle 7 (for everyday, or 5 for weekdays only)
tapecycle 15

This will allow amanda to work like amanda wants to workm and you will
then have a minimum of two generations of everything at full plus any
incrementals since the last full on everything.

To repeat to the point of boreing the list:

dumpcycle is the number of days or weeks that you give amanda to make
a full, level 0 backup of everything in your disklist.

runspercycle tells amanda how many times she will be run in
'dumpcycle' time.

tapecycle is the number of tapes in the pool for amanda to use.
Because its considered unwise to attempt to append to an already used
tape, amanda expects a tape that is either new, or is a 'timed out'
tape, having outlived its 'tapecycle' time in the pool for each fresh
run of amdump.

>bumpsize 20Mb
>bumpdays 1
>bumpmult 4
>etimeout 300
>dtimeout 1800
>ctimeout 40
>tapebufs 20
          ^^
The average machine today can have this cranked up to 60 or 80, which
will help amanda manage bigger jobs.  I'm running 80 on both
machines, one with half a gig of ram, and one with 320 megs.

>runtapes 1
>tapedev "/dev/nst0"
>tapetype DLT
>
>holding disk is "use 500Mb, chunksize 1GB"

And with a 40 gig tape drive drive, 500 megs is lost in the noise.
I've got 26 gigs free on the partition the /dumps dir lives on, with
reserve 30%.  Max useage will be whatever the maximum of your
disklist entries is, minus any software compression gains.  I'd
re-arrange things and make room for at least 5 gigs, maybe more,
based on what a 'du' on each disklist entry returns.

>define tapetype DLT {
>  comment "DLT tape drives"
>  length 40000 mbytes
>  filemark 8000 kbytes
>  speed 1536 kbytes
>}
>
>dumptype is always-full with compress none, priority medium

No comment.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: