Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Type

2003-06-12 10:11:25
Subject: Re: Tape Type
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Bill Nolf <bnolf AT argoneng DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:49:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 at 9:41am, Bill Nolf wrote

> I have a HP-DAT 40 that should get 40GB with hardware compression.

Ha, yeah right.  Marketers lie.  This depends *heavily* on your data.

> I ran amtape type and got the following.
>
> length 16534 mbytes
> filemark 0 bytes
> speed 2570 kbytes
>
> Does this look right?  The first run didn't come close to 40gb or even 20gb.

You had hardware compression enabled.  tapetype puts out random data.  The
two don't like each other.

Run tapetype again without hardware compression, and you'll get something
close to 20.  If you'll be using software compression, put that value in
your amanda.conf.  If you'll be using hardware compression, guess how
compressible your data is, adjust the length accordingly, and continue
doing so if you hit EOT too often.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering