Amanda-Users

Backing Up Win32 Registry

2003-06-11 11:44:43
Subject: Backing Up Win32 Registry
From: barryc <barryc AT rjlsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:03:30 -0400 (EDT)
>From: JC Simonetti <simonetti AT echo DOT fr>
>
>Have you tried to backup an entire registry and restore it with the regedit
method?
>Because I think of a problem: the registry is composed of data but these data
also have access rights. "regedit" does not display them (whereas "regedt32"
does).

I am currently logged into my WinXP box (2.5GHz P4) as a member of the
Administrators group.
>From CygWin:
$ cd d:
$ cd temp
$ regedit /e bak1.reg
<Wait about a minute or two.  The call returns immediately, but regedit
contiunes to run in the background.  When regedit's done, the file is ~45Meg>
$ regedt32 /e bak2.reg
<Wait about a minute or two.  The call returns immediately, but regedt32
contiunes to run in the background.  When it's done, the file is ~45Meg -same
size as bak1.reg>
$ diff bak1.reg bak2.reg

diff generates no output.

>Just a last remark. When you want to restore registry, you must have a valid
registry, whatever solution you choose (regedit, regedt32, regrest...). So if
your computer crashes completely you have to reinstall a basic Windows before
restoring anything else.

Not true.  The whole point of the `/c' flag on regedit is that it CREATES a
NEW,
VALID registry, containing ONLY the keys found in your source file.

>From comments found via Google, (no, I have not tried it myself) if needs be,
you can boot to a floppy or cdrom and run `regedit /c ...' and then be able to
boot the system normally. (assuming your only problem was a corrupt / deleted
registry)

I have a few machines sitting in my boneyard at home.  I'll see if I can get
the
time tonight to: grab one, install a random Windows version, back up the
registry to a cdrom, delete several key registry files, verify that the system
no longer boots, boot to a floppy, and restore the registry via `regedit /c'