Amanda-Users

blocksize 32 bytes? keyboard littered with thinning grey hair...

2003-06-07 08:10:36
Subject: blocksize 32 bytes? keyboard littered with thinning grey hair...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 08:06:15 -0400
Greets everybody;

Last nite I used a different, slightly older model of that Seagate
CTL-96 drive, which seemed to work, with one glareing exception.  My
little extra script does a 'tell' operaion on the tape before it
tries to write the seperate indice and config files to the end of it,
and it failed to write because the 'tell' returned a value many times
the expected value for a 32k blocksize tape.

TBE it returned a value indicating this tape was made with a blocksize
of 32 bytes!

But no other errors were reported.  So it looks as if I'd better cycle
thru the other 3 tapes, (they are freshly labeled tapes since those 4
tapes are stuck in the other failed drive), doing a dd on the label
and checking to see if they are at block 64 after reading the label.

What is the std fix for this?  I'd done an "mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk
32k" last nite.  Did mt not recognize the 'k'?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: