Amanda-Users

Re: data timeout

2003-06-07 00:28:21
Subject: Re: data timeout
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 00:24:03 -0400
On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 03:22:33AM -0000, rwk AT americom DOT com wrote:
> Since I have converted from samba to cygwin clients on our windows
> machines, I occasionally get the error below:
>
> andorian.americom.com:/cygdrive/c  0 driver: [data timeout] (20:42:43)
>
> It happens on each of the windows machines with no particular order to
> it.  I am wondering if there is a timeout parameter in amanda.conf which
> might affect this.
>
> Can anyone tell me if "dtimeout" is the parameter controlling this?  It
> is currently set to 1800 which I would think would be plenty.
>
> Or is this error due to something else?

Back when I was using Cygwin I found the performance of tar runing
under cygwin was very poor.  I attributed it (without evidence) to
the need to translate all those unix style semantics (inodes, ...)
to NTFS and back for each and every file.  My backup of about 15GB
of data on 4 partitions took 3 - 4 hours.

Yes, dtimeout is the parameter.  Unless the problem is during estimates
and sometimes you get no schedule from planner (I got that too).  Then
it is etimeout.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)