Amanda-Users

Re: planner question

2003-04-30 10:51:19
Subject: Re: planner question
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Eric Sproul <eric AT nanobyte DOT org>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:46:38 -0400 (EDT)
On 30 Apr 2003 at 10:33am, Eric Sproul wrote

> define tapetype Python-DDS2 {
>     comment "ARCHIVE Python with DDS2 tape"
>     length 3860 mbytes
>     filemark 16 kbytes
>     speed 707 kps
> }
>
> 3860 MB/1024 = 3952640 KB

*snip*

> taper: tape small07 kb 3896224 fm 15 writing file: No space left on
> device
>
> So it tells me that when AMANDA hit that EOT, she was already beyond the
> limit defined in the tapetype.  Why was she doing that?  I'm interested
> to know if I need to tweak the tapetype a little more.

Nope.  By your calcs, EOT was hit before the length of your tapetype.  You
may want to crank that down a bit.

> On a related note: Does anyone know whether native tape capacities are
> advertised the way hard drives are (where 1GB = 1000 MB instead of 1024
> MB).  Although even if this were the case, I'd still expect to get

Of course they are -- it sounds better.  My AIT3 drives (100 marketing GB
native) hit EOT reliably at about 98500000 KB.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering