Amanda-Users

Re: Using dump on running databases

2003-04-15 16:58:27
Subject: Re: Using dump on running databases
From: Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis AT pythia.itsp.purdue DOT edu>
To: "Chad Morland" <chad.morland AT inquent DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:31:51 -0500
> Postfix was a typo... it was meant to read postgres.

I didn't even notice that it wasn't postgres that you typed! :)

> I understand that the database information in the dump image will not be
> correct and will provide inconsistancies. However, my aim is to create
> an inital filesystem dump of the OS and installed software before I
> start regular weekly backups using the appropriate tools to backup the
> databases (mysqldump and pg_dumpall). My question was more to confirm
> that the database information will not be damaged or altered on the
> filesystem itself and that I can run the dump while the databases are
> still running.

It shouldn't* hurt the data files to dump them while the database is open.

I would still avoid doing so because you would be taking time and tape
capacity up with useless bits.  If your filesystem has a "nodump" flag
you might consider using it.  You might also consider putting the data
files in their own filesystem.

That said, if it's easier to just dump the data files with everything else,
it should be Ok.

* Excluding filesystem, dump, or kernel bugs, of course!

-Ben

--
Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis AT purdue DOT edu>
Database Analyst/Programmer