Amanda-Users

amcheck doesn't correctly displays the expected tapes for next Amanda run

2003-04-14 20:49:43
Subject: amcheck doesn't correctly displays the expected tapes for next Amanda run
From: Simon Frettloeh <sifr AT aifb.uni-karlsruhe DOT de>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:59:36 +0200

Hi!

We're using Amanda 2.4.2p2 at our site with two tape devices which are
accessed from Amanda with chg-multi (see configuration files below).
It seem's to work fine, but there's one problem especially with amcheck:

If I run amcheck, it ...
a) ... sometimes doesn't notice, that there are tapes in every slot.
Amcheck only notices e.g. a tape in slot 2, although both slots have
valid tapes loaded.
b) ... doesn't correctly remind the user, which tapes to put in. The
amflush/amdump-report-mails always say, which *two* tapes are the next
tapes. Amcheck seems to forget that and only asks for *one* of the
next two tapes mentioned in the report-mails.

How do I force amcheck to request for *two* tapes? Or have I done
something else wrong? Well, almost all amdump-runs need two tapes, so
I wonder, why that happens.

Another strange behavior of amcheck happens, if I remove ''tapedev
"/dev/nst0"'' from amanda.conf: after that, amcheck seems to think,
that the tape drive is /dev/null (I suppose, it's a default value) and
skips tape checking.

===[amanda.conf]===snip===
[..]
inparallel 10
netusage  1600 Kbps

dumpcycle 8 days
runspercycle -1 days
tapecycle 20 tapes

bumpsize 20 Mb
bumpdays 1
bumpmult 4

etimeout 300

runtapes 2

tapedev "/dev/nst0"

tpchanger "chg-multi"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/daily/chg-multi.conf"
[..]
===[amanda.conf]===snap===

===[chg-multi.conf]===snip===
multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0

statefile /home/amanda/daily/changer-status

firstslot 1
lastslot 2

slot 1 /dev/nst0
slot 2 /dev/nst1
===[chg-multi.conf]===snap===

Another strange phenomen in a different (less frequent backups), but
almost identical configuration occured using "amadmin". Short time ago
we labeled several new tapes with "amlabel" (because of switching from
one-tape-device to two-tape-device-with-chg-multi). And although all
of the new labeled tapes haven't been used since then, "amadmin weekly
tape" says:
===snip===
The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.
The next Amanda run should go onto tape weekly-12 or a new tape.
===snap===
So what's wrong? Why doesn't Amanda requests e.g. weekly-13 (thats one
of the freshly labeled, never used tapes)?

Hope, somebody can help me/us,
Ciao,
Simon