Amanda-Users

Re: question ('kernel panic' error after full restore)

2003-04-08 01:17:05
Subject: Re: question ('kernel panic' error after full restore)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:57:36 -0400
On Mon April 7 2003 18:21, David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com wrote:
>I did full-system restore on a client host:
>host: RedHat linux 6.2
>partition: only one partition '/'
>restore procedure on the client:
>  login as root
>  cd /
>  rsh  server_cat /usr/local/sbin/amrestore -p /dev/nst0
> client_cat  |  tar xvf -
>
>The restore was completed without error.
>
>I got the errors when reboot:
> "Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>  Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel"
>
>Did amanda skip to restore some files (such as 'open')?
>Any suggestion for a full-system restore on a Linux host?

The last time that happened to me, probably 3 years ago, I found it
was required to re-install the os, then do the restore.  Because of
file locks, its probable that not everything is on the tapes.

But, since 6.2 has quite a few exploits, and is no longer supported
by RedHat, you really should migrate that machine to at least 8.0
plus all the stuff up2date will want to update for you when you run
that utility.  That old version of bind that 6.2 installs may be
the single most rootkitable bind in history.

>Thanks!
>
>David

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M