Amanda-Users

Amanda 2.4.4 + Cygwin 1.3.22 unreliable

2003-04-07 17:05:27
Subject: Amanda 2.4.4 + Cygwin 1.3.22 unreliable
From: "Kent Dawson" <kent.dawson AT skyridge DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:27:36 -0300
Hi,

I get the following intermittently with one client (win2k) and consistently with a second client (winnt4) when issuing an amcheck from the server:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: porterhouse: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.037 seconds, 1 problem found

The whole backup does work properly when the client bothers to talk back.

I have the latest service packs and patches for both windows and cygwin.

I built cygwin independantly on both machines and double checked the configuration.

I saw two posts to this list where someone was having exactly this problem.  The suggestions were to ensure that tabs were used instead of spaces in the inetd.conf and to make sure that inetd was run as a service.  As with the other posters, this made no difference.

I followed Doug Kingston's HOWTO for Cygwin to the letter and double checked the configuration on both machines.

The server is 2.4.2 running on Linux (RH 7.3) .  I am able to backup other linux boxes (RH 6.0 and higher) with no problems.

I also know that inetd is working properly since I am able to configure and reliably use the Cygwin telnet server on both of the windows servers.

Does anyone have the amanda client working reliably on Cygwin? (I have not actually seen any hard evidence of this.).  If so what version of Cygwin and what version of Amanda on the server?

Has anyone else had (and hopefully resolved!) the above issue?

Thanks in advance,

Kent Dawson