Amanda-Users

Re: Mailreport debugging

2003-03-31 12:01:07
Subject: Re: Mailreport debugging
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:35:56 -0500
* Jon LaBadie (jon AT jgcomp DOT com) [20030331 10:26] thus spake:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 03:39:04PM +0200, Mats Blomstrand wrote:
> > > In amanda.conf, set "mailto" to "my.name@site" ...
> >
> > Yes, i know about that option. But that is not the problem that i have.
> > Sorry for being inprecise.
> >
> > I would like to tell amanda to disguise as a valid user, ie myself.
> > Is there any options that i can give to amanda so it uses these headers
> >
> >     To: my.name@site
> >     From: my.name@site
> >
> > instead of
> >
> >     To: my.name@site
> >     From: amanda@localhost
>
> I thought that was what you meant but was surprised.
> I don't know of any way to :) lie about who amanda is.
>
> What if you login as amanda on the tapehost.
> Can you send mail to users local to the tapehost?
> Can you send mail to users on other systems?
> If logged in as another user, not amanda, can mail be sent?
>
> > Or should i try to fiddling with sendmail on tapeserver (ie, localhost)?
> > (I dont have access to the central mailserver and im forced to use it)
> >
> > Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
>
> Sendmail configuration would be my guess.  Maybe the combination of
> the Cw and Dj parameters must be adjusted.  I never see mail from
> "localhost" even if sent to myself.  Perhaps it is because I have
> set my sendmail to "masquerade" as just the domain, hiding the
> specific system hostname.

Read about genericstable and virtusertable in the sendmail doc.
They allow for users names mapping. Edit your m4 mc file and add:

FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable')dnl

Depending on if you have 'always_add_domain' featured or not you might
have to add the domain to the users addresses, eg in my case:

virtusertable:
Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca malin

genericstable:
malin   Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca

HTH,
jf

--
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.