Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda TCP Reset Problem with CygWin

2003-03-31 11:27:02
Subject: Re: Amanda TCP Reset Problem with CygWin
From: Brian White <bcwhite AT precidia DOT com>
To: Enrico Bernardini <enrico AT adm.unipi DOT it>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:01:29 -0500
> use configure with --pid-debug-files if you want and
> look at sendbackup.debug and runtar.debug (or something like these).

Hmmm...  I have debug files in /tmp/amanda/.  This creates more of them?

> Did you apply my gnu tar patch?

No.  Which patch was that?  Too many things on the go, I'm afraid.

> YES! I got it!
> The problem is inside windows socket implementation.
> Nothing to be done:

Ahh...  The dreaded "closing a socket doesn't delay until all data has been
sent and ACK'd problem"?  Is that it?  I'm familiar with that because it
was a problem within the TCP/IP stack I wrote for our own products.  :-)

> You have to apply my patch to server's dumper.c also.
> I forgot to add this step in the documentation. Sorry.

Eeek!  Any other alternatives?  I'd prefer to avoid changing the source
code on the servers.

> Look at my earlier post:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-12/msg00524.html (that solution was
> not right!)

Why did a pause at the end of the process not work?  Or did it just not
work reliably?

> Here you have the dumper.c patch extracted from amanda-2.4.2p2.patch.
>
> A cup of coffe to me, please :)

Sure thing.  I've sent it FedEx to you.  I didn't have any lids, though...
I hope that's okay.

> Are you going to publish your own porting steps or would you like modify
> my own?

I'll see what I can write up.  (once everything actually works, of course)

> Brian White wrote:
> >
> > Well, after several weeks of on-again, off-again work on this, I've got
> > Amanda behaving pretty well under CygWin.  I've applied Enrico's patches
> > for v2.4.2 to v2.4.3 and it seems to run just fine.
> >
> > However, when the run completes, the CygWin amanda client completes, it
> > resets the TCP connection instead of closing it properly and thus the
> > server fails with the error "data read: Connection reset by peer".

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite AT precidia DOT com )

                  Do, or do not.  There is no "try".  -- Yoda