Amanda-Users

Re: Premature overwriting of level 0

2003-03-26 13:34:22
Subject: Re: Premature overwriting of level 0
From: Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:03:10 -0500
Hi,

Setup:
20 tapes (VXA-2 v-23) Native capacity 67GB.
1 dump cycle.
Amanda version 2.4.2p2
Holding disk 105GB
All DLE are Samba shares for Win95/98/NT6/Win2000.

Problem:
I am now 7 tapes into the second rotation and the level 0 backups are being overwritten. It seems to be due to the large size of incrementals being archived on a daily basis. There are numerous days where Amanda only does incremental (level 1) and even so Amanda is not able to fit them all onto the daily tape. Paul (see below) suggested as one of the options is to patch Amanda to allow a higher level (2,3,4...) backups to be done with Samba shares, thereby reducing the size of daily incrementals. I know that this would result in greater numbers of tape that would have to be accessed to restore the data but I am willing to live with that issue.

Solutions?
From Paul's response I may have wrongly assumed that all that would be required to "fake" level 2, 3 etc... backups would be to toggle the windows archive bit when Amanda is doing incremental archives. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer. Though I did searched through the source code I could not find where to add the switch archive bit code. If I am not completely out to lunch, I would appreciate any pointers required to implement. If I am bouncing off the walls any other suggestions to solving my problem are appreciated as long as it does not involve additional hardware.

Thanks all!

Vytas